SCALING AND ROOT PLANING IN GAINESVILLE, GA
WHAT IS GUM DISEASE?
Gum disease affects more than just your gums. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, can adversely affect your overall health. Many patients don’t even realize they have gum disease until the damage is irreversible. Gum disease can increase your risk for cardiovascular disease and can contribute to blood sugar control problems for diabetics. In pregnant women, it can lead to low birth weight or preterm babies. Additionally, gum disease causes bleeding, swollen gums and tooth loss.
WHAT CAUSES GUM DISEASE?
Poor oral hygiene, irregular professional dental cleanings, smoking, chewing tobacco, certain medications, defective fillings, crooked teeth and systemic diseases are contributing factors to gum disease.
SOME WARNING SIGNS OF GUM DISEASE ARE:
- Gums that bleed during brushing
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
- Permanent teeth that are loose or separating
- Any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
If you suspect that you have gum disease or if you have any of the symptoms above, schedule an appointment at GDC Smiles right away.
- We can handle most cases of gum disease in our office using scaling and root planing (also known as “deep cleaning”), although more advanced cases may need to be referred to a specialist.
- A healthy lifestyle, regular brushing and flossing and routine check-ups at the dentist are the best way to keep your gums healthy and prevent gum disease. Deep cleaning may also be recommended.
CONTACT GDC SMILES IN GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
Please call GDC Smiles, your Gainesville, Georgia, dentist at (770) 534-6933 to schedule your gum disease therapy visit.